Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Phase One: Complete

We have now completed phase one of "Teaching a Lesson They Won't Soon Forget".  Tonight's agenda was to close ourselves off in our room until 8 and "forget" to make dinner.  It went about the way I thought it would.  Disbelief when we said we were going to start a movie at 5, the time I normally start making dinner, and several questions about when we were going to eat.  Some of the questions were:

"What's for dinner?"
"Can I help you make dinner?"
"Are we going to eat soon?"
"Do you know what time it is?"

The last one was from #1 right at 8.  I heard a distinct sigh--through our door--when we replied we'd get to dinner eventually.  I almost couldn't stop smiling when we finally came out.  #1 was extremely irritated with us.  #2 and #3 just followed us around the kitchen until we had the food on the table.  Apparently they were hungry.  We did feed #4 at 6:30 since we didn't really think she was old enough to have to wait until 8 to eat.  But she ate with us again. 
We did allow a little bit more than just cheese and crackers.  Not a terrible looking dinner, but since this looks a lot like what we have for lunch most days, it isn't a favorite for any of us. 

To their credit, we heard no complaints.  #2 asked if she could have a PB&J instead, but didn't say anything when we told her no.  And even though we could tell #1 was irritated with us, she never once gave us any attitude or said anything in an ugly manner.  We will be complimenting her on having control over her emotions and showing respect even when upset. 

The best part of tonight?  I wanted to drive home the point that we were eating this late because we were watching movies, not because something important was going on.  So as we were clearing the table I told them I was sorry about dinner, that Daddy and I just got caught up watching our movie.  I was met with dead silence.  I couldn't risk looking at them because I was afraid I would start laughing, so I missed any facial expressions, but the silence said it all! 

If they only knew what they are in for the rest of the week!

No comments:

Post a Comment